Bikram Hot Yoga is a series of Hatha Yoga postures practiced in 40°c heat, suitable for new and advanced practitioners alike. There are unlimited benefits to practicing Bikram Yoga. It has helped countless people with old injuries. It helps improve posture, lose weight, tone up, and achieve better balance and focus. During class you will work every single muscle, gland and organ in your body.
Bikram Yoga is a serious of 26 Hatha yoga postures & 2 breathing exercises practised in 40C.
It is called a beginners series and every Bikram Hot Yoga class is suitable for all levels: first timers to advanced practitioners alike.
1) Arrive 15 minutes before your first class.
2) Register at reception or online prior to arriving. Please let your teacher sand BYC staff know if you have any injuries/medical conditions/ are on any medication/ pregnancy etc Please always keep BYC staff and teachers update on your medical information/injuries as and when things change.
3) You will need two bath size towels: one for putting on your mat that we provide free of charge & one should you wish to shower afterwards. We hire towels for £1.50/towel.
4)Hydration is imperative for a good bikram hot yoga class. This does not mean down a litre of water straight before class, simply try to drink enough thought the day or day before you come to class. Doctors estimate around 2ltrs a day for normal body maintenance. Water is only part of the hydration story, we also need out electrolytes. For more information CLICK HERE.
5) Water, you will want to take water into the room with you. We do not have anywhere to fill up water but we do sell 500ml Belu Water (all of Belu’s profits go to Wateraid) for £0.60 or please bring you own water.
6) We advice never coming to class on an empty stomach. Your body needs full to power you though class so we would advice eating something 2 to 3hrs before class. Your probably do not want to eat directly before class, as with any form of strenuous exercise eating straight before can lead to nausea. For more information of food & bikram hot yoga CLICK HERE.
7) Take a mat from the pills at the back of our studio room and set yourself up in the second or the third row (the front row is the row in front on the mirror). As the class is a dialogue class, everything you need to know is in your teachers words, however it can be helpful to have the visual of someone in front of you.
8) We don’t drink water for the first few postures to allow our body to warm up. The teacher will let you know when the first official water break is. There after, please feel free to drink sips of water as and when you want it. Please drink between postures and not while other practitioners are in a posture.
9) Be kind to yourself and listen to your body. Your first class is about acclimatising yourself to the room and feeling out where your body is in the postures. If you need to at any point feel free to sit down. No posture should be painful. If you do feel pain, ease off and let your teacher know.
10) Breathe (in and out through your nose, this is one of the keys to having an awesome class! Never hold you breath, especially in postures and apart from the two breathing exercises that bookend the series, always breathe in out and out through your nose, never your mouth.)
11) Each class lasts 90 minutes and consists of the same 26 postures, in the same order, therefore you will see your strength and flexibility improve class by class.
12) Wear light workout clothing that protects your modesty in an array of different postures. We advice no white – white goes see through when wet and you will be sweating a lot. (For a few more does and don’t CLICK HERE.
13) Have fun, its only yoga after all.
Muscles, fascia and connective tissues become more elastic allowing for greater flexibility with less chance of injury.
It promotes sweating which assists the detoxification process using the body’s largest elimination organ: the skin.
Your blood becomes thinner, which clears the circulatory system.
When the body is between three and five degrees above normal temperature, T-cell output from the thymus gland is multiplied 20 fold. T-cells fight infection which in turn helps to keep the immune system functioning properly.
Warmer temperatures produce a fluid stretch that allows for greater range of motion in the joints.
Heart rate becomes elevated improving the cardiovascular system and fitness.
Warm muscles burn fat more effectively. When we stretch, the fat has no room to sit, so it redistributes to the blood stream. We can then use it as energy.
Capillaries respond to the heat by dilating. This allows more oxygen to muscles, tissues, organs and glands helping to remove waste products from the body.
Higher temperatures improve the function of the nervous system, meaning that messages are carried more rapidly to and from the brain or spinal cord.
The heat improves strength because proteins can be utilised more effectively.
It speeds the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids.
It strengthens willpower, self control and determination through the challenging environment.
All this giving you a wonderful glow from head to toe. The heat combined with the sequence of the postures is what makes Bikram Yoga so special.
“Yoga is for everybody. There is no such thing as ‘old and infirm’. I will tell you the same thing, even if you are one hundred and one. Put on your leotards and get to work!” Bikram Choudhury
New to Hot Yoga we would recommend having a read our our Beginners Guide prior to your first class.
BYC hot yoga Introductory Offer – £45 for 30 days of unlimited yoga.
For a one-off payment of £45, you can come and practise as many yoga classes at BYC hot yoga as you like, over a 30 consecutive day period. We offer 40+ classes a week: 35 Hot Yoga, 3 Yin, 1 Yin Yoga (every Sunday) ending in a yoga nidra guided meditation, 5 Hot Vinyasa Flow, 1 Hot Inferno Pilates. Please bring photo I.D. on your first visit.
The Introductory Offer is available to all BYCers once. If you have already taken advantage of one of our Introductory offers or if you purchase more than one introductory offer in error the amount paid will be added to your account to use against another class card option. Terms and conditions appl
As an added incentive, we will give you 20% OFF your next BYC class card purchase, if bought before your Introductory Offer expires.
1) If you’re coming anywhere from twice a week, to once a fortnight, the most economical plan for you would be 10 Classes Card (valid for 6 months). Usually £125 but, with this offer, only £100.
2) Want to continue transforming your body, with 3 or more classes a week, but not sure how long you want to ‘commit’ to us for? The ‘One Month Unlimited’ is you card of choice, usually £140, is only £112, with this offer.
3) Fallen in love with your yoga & BYC, coming at least 2/3 times a week then you might want to think about our 12 Month Autopay. Valid at ALL classes. If you practise 9 or more classes a month, this is the class card for you. This is a 12 month rolling contract: there is a 2 month written cancellation policy, so, if you need to cancel the contract prior to 12 months, please send us an email to email@example.com. Two further payments will be taken and your membership will remain live until the termination date, which will be confirmed with you via email. As this is a rolling contract, if you do not cancel the contract once you have fulfilled your 12 months, the contract will simply continue. You can email us with a 30 day notice of termination, should you not wish to renew your contract. Normally £99pm, your first payment would be £79.20 (all following payments would be £99.) !
PLEASE NOTE: All our class cards are non refundable, non transferable & non freezable.
DROP IN £17 : Alternatively you may want to try a ‘Drop In’ Class: one class £17 (£15 Concession*) valid for any class on our schedule. You can ‘Drop In’ as many times as you would like and it does not affect your ability to buy an Introductory Offer at a later date.
All BYC class cards are non refundable, non transferable & non freezable.
1 – Hydrate Be hydrated: this does not mean down a litre of water just before going in the room. You want to try to be drinking a minimum of 1.5 litres of water everyday and make sure you are getting electrolytes as well. For more information on hydration and hot yoga CLICK HERE .
4 – Listen Everything you need to know is in your teachers words. It may take 1 class or 100 to hear it but we promise it is all in there.
“Bikram yoga has been a fantastic tool in my training and competition, allowing me to be at my best and compete against the best. I strongly recommend Bikram yoga to all runners as an excellent cross-training and recovery tool. I will certainly never be without Bikram yoga in my life, even after I hang up my running shoes and retire from international athletics."
“Not only has Bikram yoga healed this ( climbers/ tennis elbow) and endless other injuries, it has provided me with a sense of well-being and new direction in life. Just get in the room! I promise you won’t regret it. And, if there is one thing I could say to all of you new Bikram yogis/inis, it would be: make the most of your introductory offer, come as much as you can, and the rewards will be endless."
"I’m definitely not the cheesy sales person who will say something just for effect, but if my experience can help even one person, I’ll be happy. After only 3 months of Bikram, the results are just incredible."
“ I came to BYC for the first time just over a year ago and have been coming regularly since. It has had a profound affect on me and my life. I am no longer suffering with my sinus problems and breathing.... I am no longer suffering with sciatica like I was when I first came. The classes have helped my sciatic nerve to slowly recover and I have had a lot of support and guidance from the amazing teachers... Overall Bikram Yoga has had a phenomenal affect on me mentally. I have more peace of mind and I’ve developed emotional stability. I feel happy, content, free and physically my body has changed dramatically"
“I feel calm, focused and have developed an inner strength, which I did not believe I would ever regain. My confidence has returned and I feel that, at last, this is the real me – Mind, Body and Soul. Bikram has brought a calmness and inner strength into my life and has also helped me with my preparation for the major spine surgery, due in September."