2) Reach back with your fingers and thumb together. Hold your feet from the outside, 2 inches below your toe cleavage, yes your toes have a cleavage! If you are unable to reach your feet please speak with your teacher before or after class, we have tricks to help until your body opens up enough for you to get there.
4) Your knees and feet, should begin and stay 6 inches apart throughout the duration of the posture. Toes always pointed.
5) Inhale, look up and exhale. Gently kick both legs up towards the ceiling, allowing this kick to also lift your upper body up. There should be 6 inches between your knees & feet, so if they have kicked apart wider, try to bring them back.
6) Continuously keep kicking, don’t stop kicking.
probably tilt to one side and one leg will be higher than the other when you kick up. Check out your alignment in the mirror and if this applies to you, try redistributing your weight. Also make sure your toes are not turning in towards each other, making a shape like the letter A. If they are, turn them back out, so they are parallel.
8) Slowly roll forward, so the top part of your abdomen is touching the floor. Do not rock backwards and forwards. Relax your head and allow your head to drop back as much as possible.
9) How far you can kick up is dependant on the flexibility of your spine, this will change over time, it is important to kick up equally through both legs and try to look back for your toes, no matter the height.
10) Gently release. Coming out of the posture is still part of the pose, so slowly lower your legs, drop your head down, chin to your towel, relaxing your arms down by your side and your feet to the floor, with your ear resting on the towel.
Increases circulation to heart and lungs, improving oxygen intake.
Opens diaphragm and expands the chest region, improving respiratory conditions.
Opens shoulder joint and helps frozen shoulder conditions.
Increases spinal strength and flexibility and tone of spinal muscles.
Revitalises spinal nerves by increasing circulation to spine.
Strengthens, compresses and opens lower, mid and upper spine.
Improves strength and balance.
Reduces abdominal fat and strengthens abdominal muscles.
Helps regulate ovaries and prostate gland.
Helps cure or relieve lumbago, rheumatism, arthritis and menstrual problems.
Helps correct bad posture.
Strengthens concentration and mental determination.
Develops internal balance and harmony.
Improves function of kidneys, liver and spleen.
Strengthens deltoids, trapezius, rhomboids, latissimus dorsi and triceps.
Relieves cervical spondylitis.