2) Engage your arm and leg muscles. The tighter (more engaged) you are, the lighter you are and the higher you’ll fly! Legs and feet together as if you have one leg. Toes pointed, knees locked, solid.
3) As with all postures, breath is key. Look up to the ceiling, take a deep in through your nose and lift your head, arms, body & legs off the floor in one movement with the inhale.
4) Continuously look up to the ceiling. Looking up helps to achieve the arc of the pose.5) To lift your arms, think of stretching your elbows back, then up. Your finger tips should be as high as the top of your head. The palms should still be facing the floor.
6) To lift the chest, focus on activating the muscles of your upper back and feel like you
8) Legs are up and together, chest is up, chin is up, only your hip bones should be on the floor, but you still need to breathe. Holding your breath is not going to help your posture. If you are struggling to get full breaths, try 80/20 breathing; inhaling and exhaling only 20 percent of your lung capacity on each breath, keeping 80 percent in your lungs.
9) Now we are up, let’s try to lift up that little bit higher, lift and peel your upper body of the mat, core engaged, spine arching, check your legs are still squeezing together and your bum is engaged, look up, body come one more time…..
10) Slowly release and come down. How we come in and out of the postures is just as important as the postures themselves. So lets not catapult ourselves out, flinging oursleves out for a crash landing on the mat. Slowly release the muscles and lower yourself down with control.
11) Relax, breathe… we are about to do it all again.
full locust pose
Tones muscles of the abdomen, upper arms, hips and thighs.
Increases spinal strength and flexibility.
Improves flexibility and tone of spinal muscles.
Helps relieve and prevent lower backache.
Helps cure or relieve lumbago, rheumatism, arthritis and menstrual problems.
Helps cure loss of appetite.
Helps correct bad posture.
Improves function of liver and spleen.
Strengthens deltoids, trapezius and triceps.
Compresses and opens spine.
Relieves cervical spondylitis.